[vlc] Re: vlc streaming howto?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 23:40:30 CET 2004

Yes, you can.

Do you use the wxwindows graphical interface, or the command line?

I put together a short step-by-step, with screenshots, precisely for
restreaming a network stream. It's based on the use of wxwindows.  A command
line restream is pretty straight-forward:

Vlc mmsh://192.168.2.90:4567
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.20.30.40:1234}}

= take what's available as an mmsh stream from the device located at
192.168.2.90, port 4567.  Multicast that incoming stream back out again,
MPEG TS encapsulation, on multicast addres 239.20.30.40, port 1234.

Vlc udp://@:5678
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=512,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2}:du
plicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:1234}}

= take something that is being sent to you via UDP on port 5678.  Transform
the incoming UDP stream, make it a 512 kbps DIV3 video, 192 kbps 2-channel
mp3 audio, ASF encapsulation, and make it available via mmsh on LocalHost
port 1234.  (Another VLC user would connect to you by using
mmsh://your_ip_address:1234, while a Windows Media Player user would select
Open URL and enter mms://your_IP_address:1234)

PM me on the VLC forum (markfm), and I'll send you the information to pull
the wxwindows guide off of my FTP site, if you want it.