[vlc] Re: vlc streaming howto?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Thu Dec 30 00:54:13 CET 2004

Thank you so much, Mark.

I'm still not quite sure about something... Let me try to see if I
understand how it works...

1. VLC runs as the broadcaster, say connected to a video camera. It sends a
network stream to the server.
2. The server receives the stream and re-transmits it on a local port
3. VLC (or any other compatible player) run as clients for the retransmitted
stream.

I think that's how it's supposed to be, correct? The question is, how is #2
"triggered"? Since VLC doesn't run as a daemon, it needs to be started
somehow in order to retransmit the stream...

Also, once VLC is retransmitting, can it accept multiple connections on the
port?

Thanks
Ricardo