[vlc] Re: Performance Issues on VIA box

Eric Petit titer at m0k.org
Thu Dec 30 15:56:38 CET 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 15:28, Kristinn Soffanias Runarsson wrote:
> Hi guys... I'm having framedrops and stuff on a VIA box, with a
> Nehemia 800mhz
> Playing both MPEG2 and MPEG4... These worked fine on a 466mhz PII
> machine...
> Do I need any tweaking for VLC..? should I compile it differently
> (currently using a generic built RPM on Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.x,
> also tried FC3 with kernel 2.6.x)
> The specs on this box are here:
> http://www.allwell.tv/Products/Set_Top_Box/STB6086N2/stb6086n2.html

  Make sure you have overlay acceleration (the title of the video window
should say "XVideo", or "X11" otherwise). X11 is slow as hell, and
these boxes often require a 3rd-party graphic driver to have overlay
working.
  Once overlay is working, there's little you can do though...

--
Eric Petit <titer at m0k.org>