[vlc] Re: VLC Question

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 5 09:07:42 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 22:35, Manuel Bernhardt wrote:
> takes not 99% CPU time (less than 1%). Now my question are: Is this
> problem known
> and/or is there an solution ? (the best would be if i can disable the
> console) ...

I experienced the same when giving these parameters to vlc:
"-I rc --fake-tty --extraintf http"

I looked in the code and saw that there is some kind of active idle loop
when waiting for input. A select statement or likewise would be nice to have
there.

Nevertheless there comes a solution if you don't need the rc interface:
"-I dummy --extraintf http"

This solved this problem for me, running vlc 0.7 and 0.7-1 cvs. Now I have
11 vlc running on a PIV 2.6 with at least two actively streaming and a lot of IO
traffic and a load of 4. With the -I rc --fake-tty combination the load rose
linear to the number of vlc started.

Bye,
Torsten