[vlc] Re: Adding stream targets to running vlc

Michael S.Zick mszick at goquest.com
Mon Feb 9 13:55:08 CET 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 04:15 am, Torsten Spindler wrote:

> > Is it possible to modify the streaming output destinations during run
> > time? I've got some devices that cannot use multicast adresses, so a udp
> > stream needs to be delivered straight to the device, while others
> > receive the very same stream via multicast.

- - -
On Monday 09 February 2004 04:29 am, Ben Buxton wrote:

> Ideally yes, you could get one vlc process to do this, but until
> that is supported, this is quite effective.

VLC has a command line "duplicate" output feature...
Are you thinking of making it possible to add and remove
"duplicate" outputs dynamical in a running VLC?
Sort of a "delivery list" equivalent of a "play list"?

That sounds like it would address (no pun intended)
Torsten's requirements.
That would allow each stream to have different
characteristics.
Torsten did say "the very same stream";
so that might be over-kill for his needs.

Torsten's solution of just duplicating packets in the
iptables mangle chain sounds efficient.  Might be
difficult for the folks running VLC on MS-Windows.

Ben's solution of running multiple copies of VLC
as repeaters sounds very general.  Might be very
difficult to keep everything "sort of" in sync as the
machine reachs high load levels though.

Perhaps a merge of the two solutions would be the
way to go.  Give VLC's uni-cast packet writer the
ability to write the same packet to a (dynamic) list
of uni-cast addresses.
That (dynamic) list of uni-cast addresses would be
"per duplicated output" - so VLC would then be able
to output streams of different characteristics, each
to a (possible different) list of uni-cast addresses.

This entire e-mail reads as if I have been too long
without sleep or coffee.
Please just consider it ideas for discussion.
Mike