[vlc] Re: Little question...

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at appwares.com
Thu Feb 19 14:58:53 CET 2004

I don't have Suse but Mandrake. However, I've just compiled VLC myself
and can give you (or anyone else needing advice) the following
instructions.

Grab all the packages on this page:
	http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html

I extract all the libraries into a Library folder like this:
	mkdir Library; cd Library
	for i in ../*.gz; do tar xvzf $i; done
	for i in ../*.bz2; do tar xvjf $i; done

Continue as root since we are installing software system wide.

Before you start you need to install the RPMs
	libSDL1.2_devel
	libpostproc0
How and where to get those is a Suse specific thing. On Mandrake its
simply a two step process of adding a "contrib" source and
	urpmi libSDL1.2_devel
	urpmi libpostproc0

Since most libraries go into the /usr/local/lib folder, edit your
/etc/ld.so.conf file to add this directory if not already done.

Then you want to compile most libraries using the sequence:
	cd Folder
	./configure
	make
	make install
	ldconfig
Note that the ffmpeg library needs a variation:
	./configure --enable-pp

Also some libraries might already be on your system if you installed the
coresponding "-devel" RPM. Good candidates are zlib, libpng, libogg and
other common libraries.

You could write a little shell script to automate this compile run
(exercise left to the reader). However, if some of these compiles fail,
one might need to automatically resolve issues - so keep an eye on the
progress.

Once done extract the vlc sources. Check your compile options using:
	./configure --help | less

I use
	./configure --enable-release --enable-v4l --enable-dvb

The the usual
	make
	make install

You should then be able to play a video like so:
	vlc myclip.avi