[vlc] Re: DV Camcorder, Firewire, DirectShow

DAVID Philippe (DR&T) philippe.david at sncf.fr
Mon Jan 12 15:56:49 CET 2004

Badrulhisham Bahadzor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone who has successfully experimented with live a/v streaming using
> live source from a dv camcorder connected to pc via firewire input, running
> vlc/directshow - share their experience (setup, performance, quality etc) ?
>
> I have all the others except a dv camcorder, i would like to buy one which
> is usable with vlc. I intend to use it to stream live surgery in the
> hospital that I'm working in.
>
> Thank in advance for any reply.
>
> Regards,
> Badrul

I successfully recorded a dv output via firewire with the tool "dvgrab".
this tool generate an .avi file. I cannot read this file with vlc but
have not tested all the possibility yet.
in any way and if i can get rid of this problem, dvgrab can send the
data to the standard output and vlc can read the standard input. so a
pipe : "dvgrab | vlc " should work (add the correct options).

I will tell you the result of my experiments.

--
Philippe DAVID
SNCF - Recherche Unité TIC