[vlc] Re: DV Camcorder, Firewire, DirectShow

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Jan 15 01:22:45 CET 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 15:43, Badrulhisham Bahadzor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone who has successfully experimented with live a/v streaming using
> live source from a dv camcorder connected to pc via firewire input,
running
> vlc/directshow - share their experience (setup, performance, quality
etc) ?

> I have all the others except a dv camcorder, i would like to buy one which
> is usable with vlc. I intend to use it to stream live surgery in the
> hospital that I'm working in.

VLC _should_ support DV input on windows via the DirectShow input, however
this has not been tested and I haven't heard any reports on this.

For streaming however you'll have to transcode the DV input into something
else (ie. mpeg2/4) because DV isn't streamable. This unfortunately will be
quite processor intensive so you'll need a good CPU.

You might want to look at other alternatives like a PVR card (which encodes
analog to mpeg2 in hardware) or a simple analog acquistion card (in which
case the encoding will be done in software).

--
Gildas