[vlc] Re: Problems compiling VLC-0.7.0 on linux

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com
Wed Jan 28 12:12:53 CET 2004

Jingsong Fu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have downloaded vlc-0.7.0.tar.gz from the website, untar the file, and
>./configure
>make
>
>I got the following error,
>
>ffmpeg.c:36:24: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
>ffmpeg.c:40:5: #error You must have a libavcodec >= 4680 (get CVS)
>
>Where are avcodec.h and libavcodec?

Besides Benjamin's suggestion which can really help you, AFAIK, you have
to configure ffmpeg with the --enable-pp AND the --enable-shared option
switches.

There are several places that mention the need for the --enable-pp
switch but I only managed to compile vlc after I also included the
--enable-shared switch in ffmpeg's configure.

I hope this info helps you, good luck,

Rodrigo