[vlc] Multicast Streaming Problems

Jason Simms jsimms at utk.edu
Fri Jul 2 21:22:48 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am fairly new to streaming with VLC, although I have used other
products so the terminology is not unfamiliar.  I need to send out an
mp4 audio stream from an Osprey-500 out to a multicast IP.

I am using the Win2k version of the software, and so far I am using the
GUI to setup the stream.  Here are the steps I go through:

1.  Under the File menu, I select "Open File.."
2.  I choose the DirectShow tab.
3.  I choose the Osprey 500 Audio device from the Audio device name drop
down box.

4.  I click Configure and choose XLR Balanced under Pin Line Input Mix
(not sure whether to check the "Enable" box or not, but I have tried it
both ways).

5.  Back on the DirectShow tab page, I check the box next to "Stream
output" and then click the Settings button.

6.  On the resulting page, I check the box next to UDP (also tried RTP),
enter the IP, and leave the port as 1234.

7.  I check the box next to "Audio codec" and choose mp4a, leaving the
Bitrate at 192 and the Channels at 2.

8.  Then I click OK on everything to (in theory) start the stream.

No VLC client can pick up the stream.  The server processor load is
consistent with a machine sending a stream, so at least the machine
thinks it is doing something.

The input MRL that it makes is this:

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="" :dshow-adev="Osprey-500 Audio" :dshow-size=""
:no-dshow-config

The output MRL that is makes is this:

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=233.13.122.250:1234}}

When I supposedly start the stream, in the bottom-right of the GUI all
it shows is dshow:// (and nothing else).

I have verified that the network is definitely multicast-enabled.  Any
advice would be appreciated!

Jason Simms