[vlc] Re: VLC and DRM

Carlo Calabrò murray at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 12 23:20:54 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004, Céline DANELON wrote:
> Hello,

Hello,

> I'm working on video on demand, and we are thinking about some different
> video streamming solutions.
> We try VLC player ant it fits.

Thanks for your interest in VLC.

> Our Main problem is about DRM, we have to integrate them in our
> applications. I need to know if VCL is going to support them ? if so could
> you give me some details about it ?

Actually, a large part of the VLC developers find that DRM is useless,
unfair and irritating. Some of us spend some of their spare time
developing hacks and solutions to circumvent DRM schemes. Those who
don't, are usually very proud of any results in this field anyway.

Therefore I don't honestly think that any kind of DRM scheme will ever
be supported by the VLC, unless if it is for breaking it.

> Thanks for your answer,

You're welcome,

--
Carlo

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless." (Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes)