[vlc] Best way to stream 2 MPEG-2 video feeds using VLC ?

Jeff Kowing jeffrey.d.kowing at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 13 18:24:53 CEST 2004

I am working on an embedded system that contains two video cameras and
MPEG-2 hardware encoders.  The system must stream (unicast) both video
feeds simultaneously (over a 802.11g wireless connection).  I am
investigating the possibility of using VLC as the server (and probably
also as a client on the other end).

There appears to be a couple of choices on how to send the video data.
I would appreciate any advice as to the pros and cons and which approach
you would choose:

1. We could unicast the MPEG-2 elementary stream using RTP/UDP with RTP
payload type 32 (MPV, the MPEG video elementary stream).  A separate UDP
port would be used for each video stream.

2. We could unicast two separate MPEG-2 transport streams over RTP/UDP
using RTP payload type 33 (MP2T, the transport stream). A separate UDP
port would be used for each video stream.

3. I guess we could even multiplex the two video sources and send them
as one MPEG-2 transport stream over UDP or using RTP/UDP with payload
type 33.  Just one UDP port would be used.

Finally, can one instance of VLC simultaneously stream multiple video
sources or do I need a VLC instance for each video source I want to
stream (I know a similar question was just recently asked about VLS on
the streaming list) ?

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you have to offer.

I was investigating the possibility of using VLC to unicast stream two
MPEG-2 streams.

--
Jeff Kowing <jeffrey.d.kowing at nasa.gov>
All opinions expressed are my own and not of my employer.