[vlc] Re: Hi i am trying to setup a Streaming solution for a non profit Theater in santa monica.

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 02:54:39 CEST 2004

I'm not sure if anyone's responded yet:

Multicasting within a LAN segment, or inside a company/campus is no problem
(if you have buy-in from the network administrators), but not over the Web.
Basically, there are a finite number of multicast addresses available, and
people don't want to tie up Web backbone moving random multicast everywhere,
so ISPs block it.  You would use unicast (point-to-point) from a server on
the Web, then individuals connecting to it could rebroadcast (multicast)
within their local LAN segments if they desired.

(In VLC this is really easy.  You launch it, select File -- Open Network
Stream.  Select what it is you are trying to connect to, then select "Stream
output" in the bottom of the Open window and you can rebroadcast the stream,
including choosing to multicast it locally.)

If you are trying to redistribute live theater locally, say on a campus, you
connect your cameras to framegrabber cards in a PC.  You launch VLC, set to
stream the input from the cameras.  You may choose to use SAP/SLP to
"announce" the program contents.  If you have routers connecting the
buildings, or providing point-to-point dedicated wide area network
connections, you make sure to enable the individual routers to forward
multicast.

A good start, for someone who is a techie at heart, is to pop up to Cisco's
site.  Do a search for "IP multicast overview", and you'll get a couple of
decent technology overviews.  (Yes, I know they're Cisco oriented, but they
do have decent technical descriptions, with examples.)

So, from a VLC perspective, one approach is:

Camera -- framegrabber_in_pc -- VLC_TX_using_point_to_point -----The Web ---
VLC_RX_client_doing_a_local_multicast_of_the_RX_stream --

with another:
Camera -- framegrabber_in_pc -- VLC_TX_using_multicast --
multicast_distributed_internally_with_properly_configured_routers_and_switch
es -- multiple_VLC_RX_clients

  _____