[vlc] Streaming with VLC

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Thu Jul 15 09:26:05 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm interested in streaming video from a Linux box with a DVB-T card (which
works perfectly with dvbstream and MythTV) over to a PowerBook with OSX.  I
need to set up streaming from the Linux box, so I went to the docs on
Streaming a DVB Channel:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/videolan-howto/en/ch06.html

One option mentioned on this page is streaming with VLC.  I'm reluctant to
stream with VLC, since I installed with packages, and I don't want to
recompile (if I can avoid it).  Besides that, it warns that the --enable-dvb
feature "should still be considered experimental."

So that leaves me trying to stream with VLS.  The docs say:
   Put a .dvbrc file containing the DVB channels (satellite or digital
   terrestial TV channels) you want to stream in your home directory (some are
   provided in the libdvb tarball for the satellite channels).

Only I have no idea how to build a .dvbrc file, nor where to find an example.
  There is no longer any such thing as a libdvb, and neither of these terms
come up with useful references in Google.

I believe that .dvbrc is a vdr config file, and based on that I thought I
might be able to generate one with the "scan" program from DVB/apps.  This is
because the help to scan has the option:
   -o fmt  output format: 'zap' (default), 'vdr' or 'pids' (default with -c)

However, this generates an output which begins with the channel name, and VLS
won't accept this.

So now I'm stuck.  Does anyone know how I can generate a .dvbrc file please?