[vlc] Re: vlc/vls + ltsp(or some other thin client solution)

Cian Cullinan cian at medialabeurope.org
Sat Jul 17 15:26:05 CEST 2004

Ah yes, the bandwidth issue wasn't one that had occurred to me. I didn't
realise that X would insist on sending an entire 1024*768(or whatever) 24 bit
image for each frame.
Quick calculation for 25fps puts this at about 470Mbits/s! Even Gigabit
ethernet is not going to like this, especially once more than one client at a
time is trying it.
Looks like I'll be trying to run VLC as a local app on the clients then.
Unfortunately it's still going to be 1-2months before the hardware is in
place to start testing this.
If anyone wanted to try it out in the meantime thought that would be
great ! :)

Cheers,
Cian