[vlc] Re: vlc/vls + ltsp(or some other thin client solution)

Ben Green ben at bettercode.com
Fri Jul 16 17:29:53 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:38:20 +0100, Cian Cullinan
<cian at medialabeurope.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone, I'm in the process of designing a system where several
> clients
> will be able to tune-in at will to one of several concurrent video
> streams
> from VLS.
> The clients and server will all be on the same dedicated network. It
> seems like some kind of thin client solution like LTSP would be suited to
> solve at least some of the challenges here. My thoughts are that I
> basically
> have the following options:
>
> 1) Do "pure" LTSP with a big  VLS/LTSP server, several minimal clients
> (no
> harddisks), with all the video decoding happening on the LTSP server.
> Seems
> like this is going  to be VERY punishing on the LTSP server.
>
> 2) As above, but run the video decoding/displaying app (VLC) as a local
> app on
> the clients.
>
> 3) Don't use LTSP, have clients boot from their own harddisks, and run
> VLC
> locally
>
> To overcome harddisk bandwidth issues of streaming multiple movies from
> the
> video server I would plan on using some version of striping RAID.
>
> My choice would be 2, but I don't know if it's possible, or even
> sensible.
> Am I completely off track here? What do all the experts here think?
> I'd really love to hear from anyone who has done something similar or
> knows someone who has.
>
> Cheers,
> Cian

Well, I haven't tried number 2), but have tried the others. I guess we
have all tried 3), as that's the main use for vlc/vls, so I will relate my
experiences of 1). This doesn't work too well. Having experimented on 3
different LTSP system, I have come to the conclusion that there are two
severely limiting factors:

a/ Network bandwidth
b/ Speed of graphics cards in the client

If you know that you have fast enough graphics cards (and associated buses
/ memory of course) then you are left with network bandwidth. All clients
accross our LTSP networks have 100Mb/s cards. This doesn't seem fast
enough to send full screen video decompressed over. X seems to need to
send full 24-bit frames of the movie you want to send. No matter the
resolution of the video, if it's displaying on a 1024x768 screen, then
that is what gets sent over the network. Obvious solution, drop the screen
resolution / color depth. Still hard to get 25fps or whatever. Another
solution would be to use Gigabit Ethernet. These ideas aren't streaming
though, just remote X session.

Funnily enough, the first demonstration of LTSP I saw was sending a video
(Apocalypse Now) and the sound over to an client with a 256 color display.
The client dealt with it admirably. This was done with XINE.

As to your idea 3) I have been meaning to try this for a while. I can
think of two limiting factors here too:

a/ Speed of graphics cards in the client
b/ Speed of processing in the client

We run our LTSP on 133Mhz+ pentiums. These rock for LTSP and desktop work
but I don't think they would handle video de-compression too well, unless
it where lowish resolution (360x288 would probably be a acceptable size
and give your a decent frame rate). If you have faster clients with decent
video cards, then the world is your oyster. This option would really take
to load off the network and allow loads upon loads of connections,
streamed in a manner of your choosing. In that sense it is by far the best
solution, if you can get it to work. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give this a try,
I have wanted to but haven't had the time. Please tell us, or at least me,
how you get on.

There are instruction on how to run local apps with LTSP in the version
3.x documenation:

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-3.0-4-en.html#AEN1378

LTSP 4.0 has local apps set up for you, but VLC isn't one of them.

Good luck.

--

--Ben Green--