[vlc] Re: the problem in using vlc's .ipk files for xscale

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sun Jul 18 16:16:45 CEST 2004

I want to apologize for the late reaction. Usually I react faster, but
at the moment I am in the middle of moving into a new house. Your
questions ...

chenxuekai at zju.edu.cn wrote:

>I want get the .a or .so files packaged in .ipk files that downloaded form
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-familiar.html
>I download the .ipk files for xscale.
>I download the ipkg from http://www.handhelds.org/packages/ipkg/
>I compiled the ipkg-0.99-126 in Red Hat 9
>When i use the ipkg tools to get the .a or .so for vlc on xscale
>None .ipk files can be install
>such as
># ipkg-cl install ../vlc_xscale/libmad0_0.15.0b_arm.ipk
>Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=libmad0 (arch_priority=0 flag=16
>want=2)
>Cannot find package libmad0.
>Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
>Successfully done.
>or
># ipkg-cl install ../vlc_xscale/gpe-vlc_0.7.1_arm.ipk
>ipkg: ***  Couldnt kill old gunzip process *** aborting

An other version is running, use px ax and get the offending proccess
and then kill it.

>How can we use the .ipk files on montavista linux for xscale?
>How can we get the .a or .so for xscale?

 From the description above I understand you are not running familiar
Linux on your Xscale board. Is that correct?

Using ipkg-tools on your system requires a package database (Just like
RPM or DEB files under other distributions). The gpe-vlc_0.7.1_arm.ipk
package has dependencies on other packages, like libmad, libffmpeg,
libmpeg2dec, etc. To correctly install the gpe-vlc package, these
dependencies should be installed first. Provided that you system has a
package database setup correctly. I suspect you have not got an initial
database setup, hence the error message to run ipkg update first before
continuing. The .ipk files are ar-ed and then tar-ed. So do to unpack
them manually, you need to do:

$ ar -x  gpe-vlc_0.7.1_arm.ipk
$ tar -xzvf data.tar.gz

The control.tar.gz has the package information and the post-install  and
post-remove scripts. Further more there is a version file debian-binary.

You seem to be using my ipkg on your own distribution built using
Montavista Linux tools. In your case I advice to build VLC and its
dependend libraries from source. The ipk are built against another glibc
then the Montavista Linux packages. This might result in strange and
nasty bugs, which are very hard to diagnose. Anyway it is always better
to built from source in these circumstance. Use the Montavista Linux
cross-develop utilities to do this. They can make your life a lot
easier. In the VLC source code there is a directory called ipkg, it
contains scripts used to built the binaries. The scripts tell you the
commandline options I use to built the ipk. The source can be downloaded
from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html. Also all
additional libraries used by VLC are on that download page.

Good luck !

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant
VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548