[vlc] vlc/vls + ltsp(or some other thin client solution)

Cian Cullinan cian at medialabeurope.org
Fri Jul 16 16:38:20 CEST 2004

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of designing a system where several clients
will be able to tune-in at will to one of several concurrent video streams
from VLS.
The clients and server will all be on the same dedicated network. It
seems like some kind of thin client solution like LTSP would be suited to
solve at least some of the challenges here. My thoughts are that I basically
have the following options:

1) Do "pure" LTSP with a big  VLS/LTSP server, several minimal clients (no
harddisks), with all the video decoding happening on the LTSP server. Seems
like this is going  to be VERY punishing on the LTSP server.

2) As above, but run the video decoding/displaying app (VLC) as a local app on
the clients.

3) Don't use LTSP, have clients boot from their own harddisks, and run VLC
locally

To overcome harddisk bandwidth issues of streaming multiple movies from the
video server I would plan on using some version of striping RAID.

My choice would be 2, but I don't know if it's possible, or even sensible.
Am I completely off track here? What do all the experts here think?
I'd really love to hear from anyone who has done something similar or knows
someone who has.

Cheers,
Cian