[vlc] No Streaming Above 384K - Hardware Requirements?

Jason Simms jsimms at utk.edu
Tue Jul 20 01:24:55 CEST 2004

Hello,

I cannot seem to stream any audio above 384K.  I am streaming audio-only
(no video) from an Osprey-500 card to a multicast IP.  Everything works
great - except above 384K there is no sound.  I have tried this using
both mpga and mp4a transcode options with identical results.

Watching the CPU monitor, it appears that anything above 384K spikes the
CPU, at which time VLC seems to "give up," and it quits trying to send
the stream.  I am running this on a dedicated server for this
application, using Win2k with 768MB RAM running a PIII-700 CPU.  I know
that others have successfully streamed upwards of 2-3 megabits with VLC,
and I wonder whether my hardware may not be beefy enough (although
honestly, that would surprise me).  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Jason Simms