[vlc] Re: Windows resource usage?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Fri Jul 23 09:00:02 CEST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 08:34, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing a variety of tests in 0.7.2 VLC on windows 2000 systems.
>
> In one test I am looping a 2 minute mpeg 2 clip and streaming it out as
> a multicast.
>
> The source VLC has 15000 to 16000 handles. This is a lot!  Is it
> normal?

No. It is a bug which was fixed only a couple of weeks ago in the
development version.

> It is also using 38-40MB memory. Is this high?

If it doesn't grow more than that, then it does seem ok.

> Are there any known windows memory leaks in VLC when playing streamed
> mpeg2 content? Especially when playing it from a multicast?

VLC is checked for memory leaks under Linux with valgrind so if there is a
memory leak, it will either come from the win32 specific part of the code
(which is pretty slim if you only stream) or it will be due to some code
paths not tested properly. All in all, I don't think you'll find that many
memory leaks in VLC.

--
Gildas