[vlc] How is DVB with VLC really used?

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Tue Jun 1 11:16:48 CEST 2004

Hi again,

Can anyone give an example of how DVB stuff is really supposed to be used
using VLC? Something like an example commandline session where an initial
given service on a mux/transponder is tuned, a service or two on that mux
are zapped and then a new mux is tuned.

I seem to be able to tune to a given DVB-t mux and get a random service
from that, but there it stops. Any zapping among the services hasn't been
too successful (trying to grok the undocumented telnet interface) nor have
I managed to change frequencies.

Btw, DVB-t seems to work better than DVB-s, I gave up on that a while ago.
Tuning is easier and there have been no failures so far, which is really
great!

Actually, is someone actually using the DVB support for anything more that
pure "yeah, it seems to show an image!"? Something like real zapping,
streaming, recording, watching, anything?

[ As a sidenote I am interested in some kind of small scale commercial
support for technical DVB and general usability issues. ]

Regards,
    Jan Ekholm

--
  And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha,
    the Chosen One: "Psst!"