[vlc] playing a http stream

Abhinav Jalan abhinav at cs.rochester.edu
Sun Jun 6 18:57:43 CEST 2004

I tried to play an http stream (file loaded on a web server) through VLC
and I experienced lot of jitter while playing. Sometimes it even did not
play at all. I tried over wide area network as well as local area
network. It works better on local area network but still I get jitter on
very high bit rate streams. While, other players (I tried with Real
player) are able to play those streams.

To me, the problem seems to be that VLC does not buffers http stream at
all and starts playing immediately while other players first make small
buffer.

Is there way to make VLC play http streams smoothly?

Thanks,
Abhinav
Abhinav Jalan
First Year Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science
University of Rochester
Tel: 1-585-275-2725 (Off), 1-585-427-0645 (Res)