[vlc] variable CPU usage

Abhinav jalan abhinav at cs.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 7 04:32:39 CEST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my previous query.

I am trying with an experimenting of transcoding a stream on the network.
For that I need to find CPU usage of the transcoder for a particular
configuration. When I use http as source, for each experiment, CPU usage
comes out to be same. But when I use a streaming source (udp), I do not get
consistent reading for CPU usage. And sometimes the variation is of the
order of magnitude. However, within a single experiment, variation within
the CPU usage does not vary much as the transcoder is transcoding a stream.

In an another experiment, I made the streaming server to multicast a stream.
And made 8 nodes to transcode the stream with same configuration. All the 8
workstation had same hardware configuration. But I got different CPU usage
on each node.

Do you know the reason why I do not get consistent readings. Is there a way
to stabilize the CPU usage of the trancoder when the source is a streaming
server.

Thanks,
Abhinav