[vlc] support for VLC.app on Mac OS X: sound & video output problems

Michael C. Haller michael at cilly.com
Fri Jun 11 00:19:57 CEST 2004

Hi,

there is a problem I can't track down with vlc version 0.7.2. This
problem does not appear in VLC 0.7.1.

First my hardware:

Quicksilver G4 with sonnet 1.4 GHz upgrade card, 1.5MB RAM.

Video AGP Nvidia Geeforce

Video PCI ATI 7000

Sound PCI M-Audio audiophile 2496.

Latest system Panther and latest drivers installed.

My settings:

I play my videos (dvd, avi, etc...) thru PCI ATI 7000 connected to TV
via S-Video and PCI m-Audio audiophile 2496 connected to my stereo thru
analog audio out.

Sound-Problem:

After a specific time (mostly after a few minutes around 10-15 minutes)
the sound has some distortion. Reselecting the sound-output-device in
VLC removes the distortion and after the specific time, the problem
shows up again. The sound plays nicely thru the built in sound-system
and the speakers attached to the computer.

Video-Problem:

VLC 0.7.2 renders video data much slower than VLC 0.7.1 does. I.e.
video plays fine with VLC 0.7.1 but with VLC 0.7.2 the video output
gets garbled from time to time.

I tried:

deleting all the videolan-prefs did not help.

Greetings from Munich,

Michael.