[vlc] Streaming at LinuxTag 2004

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 16 17:33:38 CEST 2004

Hello,

next week I'll try to do make some live streams from LinuxTag
(http://www.linuxtag.org - sorry for almost german only website)
available. We'll use 3 Axis 230S MPEG-2 streaming cameras and one
converter (a/v->mpeg-2) from Axis to store the talks locally on PCs.
At least one of them will be transcoded and delivered to the belwue
educational network and from there might be accessible. Also downsampled
versions of the recordings will be made available later.

For that purpose I plan to save the axis stream with
vlc http/ps2://<camera ip>/axis-cgi/mpeg2/video.cgi
This works flawlessly in a 100 MBit LAN, which is locally available.

To transcode a stream and send it over a low bandwidth network (<2
Mbit/s, most likely 400kbit/s) I'll transcode it with
vlc http/ps2://<camera ip>/axis-cgi/mpeg2/video.cgi --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=mpv4,vb=128,acodec=mpga,ab=128}:std{access=udp,url=<outside ip>,mux=ts}'
Is this a recommended procedure or would it be better to transcode it
differently or add some information on bitrate tolerance?

Once at a computer connected with high bandwidth I'd like to multicast
it via MBONE. As far as I know Univeristy of Karlsruhe computers have
access to it. Is there a recommended way to do and test this?

Besides multicasting I'd like to make the live stream available via
http, as most webcams with integrated webserver (as the Axis has) do. Is
there a way to do this with vlc?

Lastly when I get access to some TVs I'll use Amino STBs to display
talks locally at LinuxTag.

Bye,
Torsten