[vlc] Re: Streaming at LinuxTag 2004

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jun 16 22:30:56 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004, Torsten Spindler wrote :

> For that purpose I plan to save the axis stream with
> vlc http/ps2://<camera ip>/axis-cgi/mpeg2/video.cgi
> This works flawlessly in a 100 MBit LAN, which is locally available.

Glad to hear that this works

> To transcode a stream and send it over a low bandwidth network (<2
> Mbit/s, most likely 400kbit/s) I'll transcode it with
> vlc http/ps2://<camera ip>/axis-cgi/mpeg2/video.cgi --sout
> '#transcode{vcodec=mpv4,vb=128,acodec=mpga,ab=128}:std{access=udp,url=<outside ip>,mux=ts}'
> Is this a recommended procedure or would it be better to transcode it
> differently or add some information on bitrate tolerance?

Well, a video birate of 128 kbit/s seems really little. You could a
least adjust the size of the video with the scale= or the size=
parametters.

Have a look here

http://www.videolan.org/doc/vlc-user-guide/en/ch04.html#id2870280

for a more complete descriptions of transcoding options. You can for
instance add a vt parametter (in bps) if you want to make vbr streams.

> Once at a computer connected with high bandwidth I'd like to multicast
> it via MBONE. As far as I know Univeristy of Karlsruhe computers have
> access to it. Is there a recommended way to do and test this?

--sout
'#std{mux=ts,avvess=udp,url=multicast_address:port,sap,name="linuxtag}
--ttl 64 should do the trick. It will stream the video on the provided
address, and make the corresponding sap announcement. You might also
want to have a look at "sap-interval" option or at the experimental
"sap-flow-control" option.

Don't forget the --ttl 64 option, or your stream won't cross any router.

> Besides multicasting I'd like to make the live stream available via
> http, as most webcams with integrated webserver (as the Axis has) do. Is
> there a way to do this with vlc?

Yes, use something like #std{access=http,mux=ts (or ps, or ogg),url=[optional address of
the interface to bind on the server]:port}

> Lastly when I get access to some TVs I'll use Amino STBs to display
> talks locally at LinuxTag.

AFAIK, Amino STBs can access multicast streams, but only in mpeg2. That means
that you'll have to transcode the originial stream one more time, in
mpeg2 (vcodec=mp2v)

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?