[vlc] Switching Streams on the fly

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 22 20:15:45 CEST 2004

Hello,

is there a safe way to switch stream sources on the fly? My current
setup looks like this:

camera 1 -> vlc transcode 1 \
camera 2 -> vlc transcode 2 --> vlc http stream
camera 3 -> vlc transcode 3 /

With the http interface I stop and start 'vlc transcode 1,2,3'. 'vlc
http stream' listens permanently on an udp port and relays the traffic
via http.

Problems arise when I stop a transcode and start another one. When I
connect with vlc to 'vlc http stream' sometimes it stops after such a
switch. mplayer regularly crashes and xine displays a still picture
known last good. When I start vlc/xine/mplayer it works until the first
switch occurs.

Is there a way to solve this without touching 'vlc http stream'?

Bye,
Torsten