[vlc] Re: analog capture and dvb-s on Windows server

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Tue Jun 22 23:13:49 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004, Frank Wassermann wrote :
> Hello,
>
> first of all thanks to everybody who contributed to this great project.
>
> I'm planning to setup a small "corporate tv" solution by embedding a VLC
> stream into intranet pages with the mozilla plugin Currently, the server is
> on a windows machine while clients are Windows and Linux.
>
> Streaming DVDs and MPEG-1/2/AVI streams is working great so far but I also
> would like to stream DVB-s and analog (VCR etc.) inputs. I already tried
> analog input with a Nvidia Geforce 5900 vivo (WDM capture via Dshow) and an
> USB mounted Logitech camera but  to no avail (except "local display" on the
> server there was no output on the clients. This seems to be a common
> problem).
>
> Is it possible to use PVR250/350 cards in a windows server for analog input
> with VLC or does that only work on a Linux server (documentation currently
> says "only gnu/linux" but I read some postings which stated otherwise)?
>
> Besides that I also would like to stream DVB-s with a Hauppauge Nexus-s. As
> far as I know they also only work with VLC on Linux machines. Is that
> information still correct or is the use with VLC on Windows possible?

Well, as you mention it, streaming streams from PVRs ans Nexus works
quite well under linux. Under windows, we entirely rely on directshow to
handle input devices. So, theorically, any directshow compatible device
should work. However, not all the API has been ported yet. So, PVR
should work, but some user reported some issues with sound on these
cards. I don't think Nexus cards have been tested.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?