[vlc] Re: can't start in SuSE9.0

Olivier Teulière ipkiss at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jun 23 08:34:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004, Matthias Niess wrote:
> Unfortunately it vlc doesn't start. Running it from command line with
> --verbose gives me the following error:
>
> -- snip --
> VLC media player 0.7.2 Bond
> [00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module
> `/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libskins2_plugin.so'
> (/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libskins2_plugin.so: undefined symbol:
> xmlTextReaderConstName)
> Speicherzugriffsfehler
> -- snip --

The warning concerning the skins2 plugin means that the libxml2 is not
bouilt with XML Text Reader support, thus preventing the skins2 module
to work. This won't prevent VLC from starting though (only this
particular module won't be loaded), so the segmentation fault is
probably due to something else...

Basic things you can try would be to remove your configuration file (in
cas you have one, it's in ~/.vlc/), make sure you started VLC in fully
verbose mode (vlc -vvv), and perhaps try a lightweight interface like
the rc one (vlc -vvv -I rc). But it really seems like a bug at startup,
so there's not much you can do to workaround it.

The most useful information for us would be to have a gdb backtrace (if
your version of VLC was compiled in debug mode...)

--
Ipkiss