[vlc] Re: (no subject)

Matthias Niess daxel3 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 23 17:25:39 CEST 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:12:58 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan Vaughan
<visual_infinityuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear sir or madam,
>
> Is it true playing dvd films is illegal on linux? If
> so, why is it? Is it unlikely we will ever be able to
> play dvd films legally in linux? if it is not true,
> then which software will play dvd films in linux? Will
> the software on the www.videolan.org website play DVD
> films?

Hi,

yes it will play DVDs (if you installed the required libraries). It does
so with the DeCSS code which is illegal by some countries laws. In the US
the Digital Millenium Copiright Act prohibits workarounds on
copy-protections. Germany for example adapted it's copyright law to the US
laws, so it's illegal there, too. I don't know about the copyright laws in
Israel, sorry. If it's illegal there, too, and you're bothered by that,
there is (as far as I know) commercial DVD player software for linux out
already. I think the HelixPlayer might do the job.

--
PGP-encrypted mail preferred. Find my key on any public keyserver
RSA 2048 Key Id: 0xD5B8D81F