[vlc] Re: (no subject)

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jun 23 17:35:14 CEST 2004

Le mardi 22 Juin 2004 21:12, Jonathan Vaughan a écrit :
> Is it true playing dvd films is illegal on linux?

It depends on the country you live, and of your interpretation of the
laws or which one prevails when different laws conflict.

> If so, why is it?

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know: VideoLAN uses libdvdcss, which
breaks the encryption of DVDs. This may be forbidden by some
anti-piracy laws such as the DMCA in the US.

> Is it unlikely we will ever be able to play dvd films legally in
> linux?

In the UK, I don't know.

> if it is not true,  then which software will play dvd films in linux?
> Will the software on the www.videolan.org website play DVD
> films?

VLC Media Player does play DVD.

--