[vlc] Re: (no subject)

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Jun 23 21:14:16 CEST 2004

Jonathan Vaughan wrote:

>Dear sir or madam,
>
>Is it true playing dvd films is illegal on linux?

It totally depends on the laws in your country. In the Netherlands and
France it is legal to view DVD's you bought from a shop even with VLC.
It is part of the fair use part of the copyright law (AFAIK).

>If
>so, why is it? Is it unlikely we will ever be able to
>play dvd films legally in linux? if it is not true,
>then which software will play dvd films in linux? Will
>the software on the www.videolan.org website play DVD
>films?

Yes.

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548