[vlc] MPEG4 decoding of vlc streamed video

Gejdos Milan Milan.Gejdos at siemens.com
Mon Mar 1 15:54:55 CET 2004

Hi everybody,
please let's read shortly:
I'm streaming mpeg-4 video (DivX) with vlc encapsulated in MPEG-2 TS. On the
receiver site, I use my own receiver client which is actually DirectShow
filter graph. As demultiplexor filter, I'm using that delivered within
DirectX 9 -> Micorsoft MPEG-2 Demultiplexor. After demultiplexing, video
elementary stream is passed to the downstream filter which is any divx
decoder filter (e.g. ffdshow or DivX ). Unfortunately I don't see any
rendered video from the decoder filters. When I render the same video
locally, of course, it is played without any problems (AVI Splitter filter
is used in this graph). I compared input for decoder filter in these both
cases and found out that there are quite different. Then I tried to get just
video PES from demux and then transform media samples to the ES (by removing
PES headers). Decoder was then feed with such transformed samples. Such
transformed video ES was almost the same as the AVI Splitter is producing
when file was locally rendered. And once again, when I run the filter graph
and deliver some samples to the decoder filter, the decoder filter always
crashes:( And my Qs are:
1) Has anybody any experiences with such tasks?
2) Can be DivX/ffdshow/... sw decoder feed with video ES which is obtained
by removing PES headers from vlc video PES in order they are coming from the
vlc? Is there necessary to do anything additionally (since it's still not
working:( )?  Remind that correct DirectShow timestamps are set from PTS
values and similar tests, but with mpeg-2 video, were successful.
3) Does the vlc use on win32 platform the DirectShow filters graph to decode
video too?

Thanks in advance,
Milan