[vlc] Re: MMS

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Mar 14 18:32:11 CET 2004

Keep discussion on the list please

On 14 mrt 2004, at 16:59, Stanton McCandlish wrote:

> So what should happen if I encounter one of these and VLC can't play
> it?  Will it give me some kind of error?  What DID happen when I used
> File | Open Network (and changed UDP to HTTP/FTP/MMS, and pasted in a
> mms://... URL, and picked Advanced Output and Settings, then selected
> File, gave it a filename, and set Encap. Method to MPEG-4, and hit OK
> at the bottom, then OK at the main dialog to get it started), was
> nothing at all.  Just dead silence.  No indication of activity.

Menu->Windows->Messages

And try playing the file first, capturing and streaming with advanced
out is way too complicated. And you cannot encap everything into mpeg4,
you will need to transcode as well for that. It's way more difficult
than that it appears at first :)

> Oh, hmm.  I just noticed something.  There is a URL bar at the top of
> that dialog AND there is one next to HTTP/FTP/MMS for some reason.  I
> put the mms URL in the top bar, but did not put it in the lower one.
> Why are there two?  It makes the interface a little confusing.  Which
> one is for what?

The top one is the MRL. it is the link that VLC builds from the options
you specify below. The MRL can also be a DVD or local file or video
capture device (win/linux)
The URL can only be a URL

> PS: I often have a weird problem with DivX AVIs, such that the video
> gets all kinda weird, like you can see some what is happening, but a
> lot of the pixels don't move (at least for a long while, and then
> sometimes the picture will suddenly snap back), and it ends up having a
> solarized look, though the audio is fine.

Lack of processing resources perhaps? what kind of computer do you have.

> Is this because I don't have
> the right DivX/Xvid/3ivX/whatever codec, or the file is corrupted, or
> the Mac is too slow or...?  Also, VLC often pops up an error window on
> first opening a file, and nothing, usually, will make it play the file.
> You dismiss the dialog, and it just pops up again, 100 times in a row.
> However, sometimes if I keep trying that file, like 10 or 20 times, it
> will eventually play just fine.  The dialog most often claims that my
> machine is too slow, which I'm pretty skeptical about.  It's a 766MHz,
> which ought to be enough to play a little movie file.

Try resetting your preferences, you may have set an CPU intensive
option by accident.
BTW. i have many high quality XviD's that play very lousy on my G4/400
Mac which is about the same in speed as a G3/733. So it is definitely
possible.

>  And if it were
> too slow, really, then why would the video usually eventually play
> after I tried again and again?

Because it eventually catches up, and because the computer has to do
more when it is first opening the file (opening window, initializing
the decoders etc etc etc) than at the moment it is playing.

>> Works fine for me.
>> Though several streams use the proprietary WMV3 video format, which is
>> only playable by Windows Media Player.
>> Petition Microsuckers to open up their video format.
>>
>> DJ
>>
>> On 13 mrt 2004, at 23:07, Stanton McCandlish wrote:
>>
>>> The docs say that VLC fully supports, yet it does not even appear to
>>> recognize the "mms://" URL scheme, which is used by thousands of
>>> websites.  Is there a workaround for this problem?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> ---
>> Videolan - VLC media player
>> Derk-Jan Hartman (hartman at videolan dot org)
>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc

----
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)