[vlc] Re: Trojan

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Tue Mar 16 08:55:31 CET 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 11:51, Bertjan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First: I did read the message about the trojan on de VLC download page....
>
> However, right after installing VLC for Windows, I got 2 viruswarnings
> from McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0 (virusdefinitions of march 10):
>
> 15/03/04 11:16:14 Verwijderd C:\Program Files\over.exe	Downloader-GF
> 15/03/04 11:16:14 Verwijderd C:\Program Files\pup.exe	AdClicker-O

As we already said, the win32 build for VLC is done on Linux, thus making it
very unlikely that a win32 virus will end-up in our win32 package.

Secondly, as you might have noticed, the VLC executable is strangely not in
the list of your infected files ;)

And lastly, this is the only report I've seen about the VLC 0.7.1 package
being infected even though it has already been downloaded by about 500000
users (according to the web-site stats).

--
Gildas