[vlc] Vlc and UDP

Cavalera Claudio Claudio.Cavalera at icn.siemens.it
Wed Mar 24 16:36:37 CET 2004

Hello,
I've a couple of questions about section 4.2.3 of VLC User's Guide:

"4.2.3. Receiving a network stream
To receive an unicast UDP stream (sent by VLS or VLC's stream output),
start VLC with :
% vlc -vvv udp:[@:server_port]"

I don't understand it. In this case no IP address is needed?
I must read this as if the VLC client is already receiving the UDP
streaming on an UDP port and I just have to specify that port? Or I have
to specify the UDP port from which the streaming is coming?

"To receive an multicast UDP stream (sent by VLS or VLC's stream
output), start VLC with :
% vlc -vvv udp:@multicast_address[:server_port]"
I believe that here <multicast_address> stands for the multicast group I
wish to join with my vlc.
I though that in a multicast enabled network routers should bring the
multicast traffic to me without any need to specify a port. What is the
<server_port>? Is it the UDP port to which the streaming is being
broadcasted?

I have a last question, is it possible with VLC to play a RTP in UDP
stream which is already arriving (or will arrive soon)
on an UDP port?
How?
In this circumstances it's not possible to provide RTCP feedbacks back
to the source of the UDP streaming right?

Thanks a lot,
Claudio