[vlc] Re: Vlc and UDP

Carlo Calabrò murray at via.ecp.fr
Wed Mar 24 16:36:07 CET 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004, Cavalera Claudio wrote:
> % vlc -vvv udp:[@:server_port]"
>
> I don't understand it. In this case no IP address is needed?
> I must read this as if the VLC client is already receiving the UDP
> streaming on an UDP port and I just have to specify that port? Or I have
> to specify the UDP port from which the streaming is coming?

Well if it is not a UDP multicast stream, it means it's either a unicast
(so yes, you're already getting it delivered to your ethernet port) or a
broadcast (so yes, you're already getting it delivered, as long as all
your neighbours).

> I believe that here <multicast_address> stands for the multicast group I
> wish to join with my vlc.

You're right.

> I though that in a multicast enabled network routers should bring the
> multicast traffic to me without any need to specify a port. What is the
> <server_port>? Is it the UDP port to which the streaming is being
> broadcasted?

Yes, it's the UDP port to which the stream is being multicasted.

> I have a last question, is it possible with VLC to play a RTP in UDP
> stream which is already arriving (or will arrive soon)
> on an UDP port?

Coming soon :)

> Thanks a lot,

You are welcome

--
Carlo

Let me explain, Patrick: here on Earth, there is a gap between seeing
someone you like and having sex with them, that we like to call
"conversation". (Steve, Coupling)