[vlc] Re: Vlc and UDP

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Wed Mar 24 16:46:33 CET 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004, Cavalera Claudio wrote :

> I don't understand it. In this case no IP address is needed?
> I must read this as if the VLC client is already receiving the UDP
> streaming on an UDP port and I just have to specify that port?

That's it. UDP streming is a "push techology" : the server sends the stream to a client, which has no choice but receiving it.

> "To receive an multicast UDP stream (sent by VLS or VLC's stream
> output), start VLC with :
> % vlc -vvv udp:@multicast_address[:server_port]"
> I believe that here <multicast_address> stands for the multicast group I
> wish to join with my vlc.

right

> I though that in a multicast enabled network routers should bring the
> multicast traffic to me without any need to specify a port. What is the
> <server_port>? Is it the UDP port to which the streaming is being
> broadcasted?

You'll get all the traffic sent to any udp port on this group, but you have to tell VLC on which port it has to listen to the stream.

> I have a last question, is it possible with VLC to play a RTP in UDP
> stream which is already arriving (or will arrive soon)
> on an UDP port?

Yes

> How?

You'll need a SDP packet. You can open it as a file, http, or rtsp

> In this circumstances it's not possible to provide RTCP feedbacks back
> to the source of the UDP streaming right?

That's not possible yet

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?