[vlc] Re: New Streaming Problem

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 25 16:49:18 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Danislav Kostov wrote:

> Hi! 1st: very very very nice software... and the mailings help a lot.
>
> Benjamin wrote:
> There is absolutely no  way to transcode to MPEG4 using a  VIA C3. It is
> very  far  to  be  powerful  enough.  Our  tests  show  that  real  time
> fullescreen MPEG4 transcoding would at least require a PIV 1.6 GHz.
>
> For the VIA is true, but PIV 1.GHz is not the minimum.
> I'v tested real time MPEG4 (720*576) trans with Athlon 1700+, 256 MB,

An athlon 1700+ is a pretty fast cpu relative to a 1.6ghz p4 so I would
consider the impinging on the minimum... The point being, a reasonably
powerful modern cpu is required. The via cpu's have only recently gotten a
full speed fpu and even then their cyrix heratige really shows in this
regard. you don't by any means need a 3ghz p4 or a 2ghz opteron to
transcode mpeg4 but it sure helps.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu