[vlc] Fwd: Video Capture

Remi Denis-Courmont admin at via.ecp.fr
Mon Mar 29 19:13:58 CEST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Ecartis <ecartis at krishna.via.ecp.fr> -----
From: "Mark Cherry" <mark at davidcherry.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <streaming at videolan.org>
Subject: Video Capture
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:46:32 -0000

Dear Sir/Madam

I am currently undertaking a HND Computing course at Saltash College in =
Cornwall, UK. As a part of some extra studies a small group consisting =
of two members of staff and myself are looking into the possibility of =
researching video conferencing using MPEG-4. As such, I have been asked =
to find out what hardware is required for such a project.=20

My problem is that although I have some programming experience, I have =
never tried to use a video stream from a PCI card. I am leaning towards =
the idea of using firewire cards and cameras, but I do not know how this =
will integrate into the project as a whole. Since your VLS program =
supports such a wide range of input devices, I was hoping that you would =
be able to explain to me the process or software requirements for =
capturing the video stream from such a device.

The overall idea of the project is to be able to adjust the MPEG-4 codec =
to compensate for poor transmission bandwidth. The codec requires the =
captured video steam from the firewire card. However I have no idea how =
this is achieved beyond the fact that a "Grabber" module (program, =
source code?) is used. Have you had to use such code in your project? If =
so, is the code generic or specific to each manufacturers hardware? Will =
Unix code work on a Windows system?

I hope that I have not taken up to much of your time, and any help will =
be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely
Mark Cherry

PS. We all have to start somewhere.