[vlc] Re: How to do a GOOD live stream with minimum bandwidth?

Michael S. Zick mszick at goquest.com
Sat May 15 15:34:14 CEST 2004

On Sat May 15 2004 07:08, Dedi Eko wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I'm in a project of designing Video Conference over Internet. This
> system is going to be use as a distant teaching method. Regarding
> video latency / delay, is there anyway to achieve the optimum result
> for those purposes, if THE PRESENT CONDITION:
>
> 1. Our Friend only have 256kBps total bandwidth,
> asynchronous ,64 Kbps for UPSTREAM, 192 for DOWNSTREAM with a medium
> reliability for internet connection (sometimes we get RTO),
That sounds like what is sold in U.S. as ADSL...

> Currently
> our bandwidth is 2Mbps synchronous
> 2. Sometimes we were having difficulties connecting to their VLC server,
> since their small upload stream
> 3. They had no problem connecting to my VLC server, it's quite rare they
> got buffer run out
> 4. Currenty we both using MMS protocol, we use windows media player to
> view the video, with WMV 64Kbps video and MP3 16kbps 1 channel, video
> is blur if full screen, audio sometimes disappear
>
> Is there any chance we could somehow overcome the problem, different
> protocol, network optimization, transcoding tweaking, or connection
> alternative replacing my friend's current connection (using local
> ISP)?
If you find yourself down to the last choice...
Does your ISP offer ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network)?
That is the U.S. service name - about 25 years older than ADSL...
This older method leaves your voice telephone services as digital,
sends voice/data over existing wires to your location, your end
does the digital->analog conversion for voice, or digital->digital
for data.
Reason:
A single service provides two 64kbs clean channels plus a
control channel. Nearly any ISDN (and ISP) modem can
combine that into a 128kbs clean data channel on demand;
Then, if you need more bandwidth, order a second ISDN
connection... Linux (well, *nix - don't know M$-Windows)
can use the dual modems as a single 256kbs connection.
That's a full duplex, 256kbs (both UPSTREAM and DOWNSTREAM)
rate - what you would have described above as 512kbs.

The short answer: Check with your local communications
provider - there are (have been for decades) high speed
alternatives other than going to some sort of dedicated
connection.

In the U.S. costs are for what you use and the modems/
OS software only uses as many 64kbs channels as required
in an incremental manner.
1 channel, 1 modem
2 channels, 1 modem
3 channels, 1 1/2 modem
4 channels, both modems, both channels.

Of course, idle, your left with 4 telephone numbers
to answer.
Mike