[vlc] locate video frames(e.g. I-frames) inside upd stream packets

Avgoustinos Filippoupolitis augifili at yahoo.gr
Thu May 20 02:37:29 CEST 2004

-I have encoded a video using DivX codec.
-I have processed the .log file created by the codec
and that way I know the exact sequence of frames,each
one's type(I,P,B) and the size(bytes) of each frame.
-I stream the video to another PC , using vlc.
-The UDP packets produced have a fixed size of,let's
say,1344 bytes (1316 bytes of data).I can change that
by modifying the MTU , but that's irrelevant.
-The frames of my video have a variable size and
sometimes are bigger, sometimes smaller than 1316
bytes.
That means tha vlc "merges" the frames together, and
than splits this "frame-sequence" to parts of 1316
bytes?
I tried to divide the 1316 bytes (data in 1 udp
packet) by the  frame size (each time different) but
the result always produces a modulus.
That confirms my idea of "frame-merging"(1 udp packet
doesn't contain x frames, where x=integer).
Is there a way to distinguish which frame is
trasmnitted at a given time?

I want to locate the frames I transmit, because I want
to see when the I-frames are transmitted (part of my
diploma thesis,if I-frames lost->video quality
deteriorates).