[vlc] Re: VLC and RTP/RTSP

Cavalera Claudio Claudio.Cavalera at icn.siemens.it
Thu May 20 16:20:33 CEST 2004

>On 20 mei 2004, at 09:40, Cavalera Claudio wrote:

>> Does VLC decode MPEG4 video and MPEG4 AAC when reading rtp
>streams? I
>> don't understand well the tables on
>> http://www.videolan.org/streaming/features.html
>
>It does. The features mentioned on the page above only concern
>serving.

Sorry, it was my fault.
I've now verified streaming of RTP/UDP of MPEG4 video and MPEG4 AAC,
opening an RTSP URL both with vlc071 and vlc072-pre3.

>Receiving is described on http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

So I must assume that VLC is able to play in a stream any codec which
has "YES" on this page, when encapsulated in RTP/UDP according to
corrispondent RFCs?
>This table appears to be confusing.
>What is meant is Output Type vs. Muxing.
>So via UDP you can only mux TS and Raw, and you can only mux mp4 to a
>file (mp4 is not streamable (RTSP MPEG4 is not mp4 unlike many
>will led
>you to believe))

What do you mean with "RTSP MPEG4"? The definition of RFC 3550?
I've successfully streamed mp4 files (hinted) more than once.
Thanks a lot,
Claudio

PS=What about AMR Audio? :-)