[vlc] Problem loading this software

Tom Wilson Tom.Wilson at CenturyTel.com
Wed Nov 10 19:04:21 CET 2004

Good afternoon,

I cannot get this software to load on my RH 8.0 build.  Your page
indicates that everything should load fine, but it doesn't.

After the first attempt the RPMs failed due to dependencies from the
following glibc:

2.2.93.

When I loaded glibc-2.2.93 (which was successful) and reran the vlc RPMs
(several from your download section) the failures where based on the
following failures:

Lack of glibc -2.3.XX.  So I downloaded glibc-2.3.XX and tried to load
it.  It overwrote the glibc 2.2.93 files.  So when I tried ot load vlc
again, I got the original dependencies.  So what is the problem here?
Am I just overlooking something?  What is the best way to get this
loaded?  BTW I tried to load version 0.5.0 and 6 I believe since I heard
they were the best for RH 8.0.

Any help would be great.  I'm presently trying to download apt-get and
try it that way.  But I need to confirm these dependencies go away
first!

Tom Wilson
Manager of Communications Network Services
CenturyTel Service Group
2 South Tower
100 CenturyTel Drive
Monroe, LA 71203