[vlc] Re: not installing on Fedora Core 2

Torsten Spindler spindler at hbt.arch.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 18 08:57:21 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 01:12, Mr. Man wrote:
> I cant get VLC to intall on my computer. I am running Fedora Core 2.
> every time I try to install I get this message:

Which version of vlc are you trying to install?

> [root at localhost vlc]# rpm -U *.rpm --force
> warning: a52dec-0.7.4-6.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
> key ID e42d547b
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libdv.so.4 is needed by (installed) gstreamer-plugins-0.8.1-1
> [root at localhost vlc]#

In general rpm encountered a dependency it cannot resolve. Here it seems
that libdv might get replaced by a different version that cannot be used
by gstreamer-plugin.

However I think libdv is no longer needed by vlc as it has been replaced
by ffmpeg. I'm not sure in what version that happened.

> I have gstreamer-plugins-0.8.1-1 and gstreamer-0.8.1-1 installed also
> I have libdv-0.103-1 installed

I have those installed on my laptop:

gstreamer-0.8.3-2
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.2-2.1
libdv-0.102-1

The vlc rpm I use is a home made, unofficial, experimental one:

vlc-0.8.1-4.fc2.ts

If you want to give it a try, you can d/l it from
http://holz.ethz.ch/yum/fedora/core/caad.hbt.arch.ethz.ch/2/i386/vlc-0.8.1-4.fc2.ts.i386.rpm
plus a couple of rpms it depends upon. I also use packages from
http://www.freshrpms.net and http://dag.wieers.com to resolve various
dependencies. I find it easiest to resolve these by using yum, but
others who want more control on what third party software is installed
on their machines will disagree using these repositories.

Bye,
Torsten