[vlc] Re: Reduce latency in unicast

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sat Nov 20 10:06:45 CET 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004, perlcgi2000 wrote :
> I'm running 2 XP machine with VLC on both.
>
> They are on a private network and talk via a linksys
> switch.
>
> I've tried playing with the settings but cant get the
> latency below 1.5 seconds.
>
> Does anyone know how to reduce the latency ? Ideally
> I'd like below 1 second (and if there is a god then
> <0.5 seconds would be nice).

Well, you can try reducing caching on both client and server. Most
access and access-out plugins have a caching parametter.

For instance, if you use v4l as input on the server and udp as transport
method, you can use

--v4l-caching 50, --udp-sou-caching 10 on the server

--udp-caching 50 on the client

values are given in ms.

--
BigBen