[vlc] Stream On Demand ?

perlcgi2000 perlcgi2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 15:51:37 CET 2004

 I have an idea for a live video system that I'd like
to set up. Its not VOD - more Stream On Demand (SOD !)

I don't know how possible or sensible it is - so I
thought I'd ask you guys :)

I'd like to have:

a. PCs with webcams & VLC (windows XP or linux)
b. A server/pc running a Streaming server (Darwin
maybe)
c. Client PCs (linux probably)

My idea is that:

1. the client PC would request live video from the
streaming server
2. the streaming server would set up a live video
stream with the web cam PC
3. the web cam PC starts sending live video
4. The streaming server sends the live video to the
client PC via UDP or RTP

My thinking was that I didn't want the webcam sending
live video unless it was needed (as its just wasting
bandwidth and its better resource-wise/security to
only send something when its needed).

I'm guessing that I need some script/GUI so the client
PC and streaming server can authenticate to each
other, tell the server which stream to start etc ?

So my questions are:

1. Is this sensible & achievable ? (Or is there a
better way ?)
2. Has anyone done this already ?

Thanks,
Nathan