[vlc] Early picture / Late audio

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Mon Nov 22 15:59:07 CET 2004

Hi.

I'm distributing 9 TV-channels as RTSP streamed MPEG-4 at up to
2Mbps per channel.

Originally I used the Quicktime plugin to display the streams, but
are now moving towards VLC because of its superiority in performance
and features. However I find it less stable or less error robust than
Quicktime.

Sometimes (quite often), the VLC player ends up saying something
similar to early picture or late audio and displays no picture or
plays no audio.

Quite likely, VLC detects a too big gap in timestamp between
a received audio (or audio in RTP) packet and received video
(video in RTP) packet and discards either audio or video. If
I check the same streams with Quicktime, it plays it without
any problem.

Now for my questions:

1) Is there a varibale that can be adjusted to increase the
maximum gap between audio and video packets acceptable ?

2) If yes, is it possible to increase this value by default since
other players has a bigger value and getting end-users to adjust
this value manually is a support nightmare.

If anybody from the VLC support/developer team want to test
our cable-tv streams, then drop me a mail and I'll forward you the url,
but a minimum of 2Mbps Internet connection is required.

Thanks

--PMM

PS. My postings to the VLC mailing list seems to enter something
close to a 24 delay. Is that normal for everybody (well apparently it
is not.).