[vlc] HDTV playback on iMac G5?

Daniel R. Schneider d.r.schneider at gmx.ch
Sat Oct 2 10:20:48 CEST 2004

Hi there,

I wonder if an iMac G5 1.8 GHz will play back HDTV 1080i videos
perfectly with VLC? Apparently it's possible to connect a second
monitor on the iMac G5 (by using the monitor spanning patch you can
even use both the internal and external display) and I guess even
1920x1080 60Hz should be possible as resolution of the external screen.

But has the iMac G5 enough speed to play back 1080i without glitches?
How was it with the single processor 1.6 or 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5? I
guess someone has such a machine and tried to play back MPEG2 HD video
(I have some recordings from Showtime and HBO transfered on my Mac from
DVHS tapes with VirtualDVHS which works just perfect).

Thanks for all answers
Dany