[vlc] Re: HDTV playback on iMac G5?

Daniel R. Schneider d.r.schneider at gmx.ch
Mon Oct 4 12:58:16 CEST 2004

> Keep in mind that external monitors connected to iMac's only mirror
> the built-in display.  It's not like a second head that lets you, say,
> pick a resolution and span your desktop.  But, it sounds like it might
> still be OK for what you are doing provided that your built-in display
> can be set to a high enough resolution.  For more info:

Well, officially iMac supports only mirroring displays, but there is a
patch (like for the iBooks and iMac G4s) that allows to have additional
workspace on the second monitor, see:

http://rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/forum/viewtopic.php?
t=296&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=168572b9d3c599e9235abab8fc2d8
bd3

It seems that even without this patch you can have higher resolutions
on the external monitor, I guess that then the internal display is
blanked/switched off. See this passage from the iMac G5 Developer Note:

Due to display mirroring, the external monitor could have black borders
during mirroring, depending
on the supported timings between the two displays and on the monitor’s
selection algorithm. Both
displays show full-sized images only when the display resolution for
the second monitor is set to the
first display’s native resolution: 1680x1050 on the 20-inch display and
1440x900 on the 17-inch display.
The external monitor supports user-selectable display sizes up to
2048x1536 at 75 Hz.

Daniel